Powered By Blogger

Saturday, March 30, 2013

The Message Of The Cross

Was Preached By The Apostles                                     Acts 2:23; Acts 8:32-35; Acts 13:28-29
                                                                                      I Corinthians 1:23 and I Corinthians 2:1-2
Acts 2:23  In accordance with his own plan God had already decided that Jesus would be handed over to you; and you killed him by letting sinful men crucify him.
Acts 8:32-35
32  The passage of scripture which he was reading was this:  “He was like a sheep that is taken to be slaughtered, like a lamb that makes no sound when its wool is cut off.  He did not say a word.
33  He was humiliated, and justice was denied him.  No one will be able to tell about his descendants,
because his life on earth has come to an end.”
34  The official asked Philip, “Tell me, of whom is the prophet saying this? Of himself or of someone else?”
35  Then Philip began to speak; starting from this passage of scripture, he told him the Good News about Jesus.
Acts 13:28-29
28  And even though they could find no reason to pass the death sentence on him, they asked Pilate to have him put to death. 
29  And after they had done everything that the Scriptures say about him, they took him down from the cross and placed him in a tomb. 
I Corinthians 1:23  As for us, we proclaim the crucified Christ, a message that is offensive to the Jews and nonsense to the Gentiles;
I Corinthians 2:1-2
1   When I came to you, my friends, to preach God's secret truth, I did not use big words and great learning.
2   For while I was with you, I made up my mind to forget everything except Jesus Christ and especially his death on the cross. 
Was A Stumbling Block To Jews                                    I Corinthians 1:23
As for us, we proclaim the crucified Christ, a message that is offensive to the Jews and nonsense to the Gentiles;
Was Foolishness To Gentiles                                           I Corinthians 1:18-23
I Corinthians 1:18-23
18  For the message about Christ's death on the cross is nonsense to those who are being lost; but for us who are being saved it is God's power.
19  The scripture says, “I will destroy the wisdom of the wise and set aside the understanding of the scholars.”
20  So then, where does that leave the wise? or the scholars? or the skillful debaters of this world? God has shown that this world's wisdom is foolishness!
21  For God in his wisdom made it impossible for people to know him by means of their own wisdom. Instead, by means of the so-called “foolish” message we preach, God decided to save those who believe.
22  Jews want miracles for proof, and Greeks look for wisdom.
23  As for us, we proclaim the crucified Christ, a message that is offensive to the Jews and nonsense to the Gentiles; 

No comments:

Post a Comment