Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

The Holy Spirit's Work

Involved in Creation  (Genesis 1:2)
2    The earth was formless and empty, and darkness covered the deep waters. And the Spirit of God was hovering over the surface of the waters.

Gave Life to God's Creatures   (Psalms 104:30)
30  When you give them your breath, life is created, and you renew the face of the earth.

Guided God's People   (Isaiah 63:11-13)
11  Then they remembered those days of old when Moses led his people out of Egypt.  They cried out, "Where is the one who brought Israel through the sea, with Moses as their shepherd?  Where is the one who sent his Holy Spirit to be among his people?
12  Where is the one whose power was displayed when Moses lifted up his hand—the one who divided the sea before them, making himself famous forever?
13  Where is the one who led them through the bottom of the sea?  They were like fine stallions racing through the desert, never stumbling.

Instructed God's People  (Nehemiah 9:20)
20  You sent your good Spirit to instruct them, and you did not stop giving them manna from heaven or water for their thirst.

Led God's People in the Right Way   (Psalms 143:10)
10  Teach me to do your will, for you are my God.  May your gracious Spirit lead me forward on a firm footing.

Inspired God's People to do Right   (Psalms 51:10-22)
10  Create in me a clean heart, O God.  Renew a loyal spirit within me.  
11  Do not banish me from your presence, and don’t take your Holy Spirit from me.
12  Restore to me the joy of your salvation, and make me willing to obey you.
13  Then I will teach your ways to rebels, and they will return to you.
14  Forgive me for shedding blood, O God who saves; then I will joyfully sing of your forgiveness.
15  Unseal my lips, O Lord, that my mouth may praise you.
16  You do not desire a sacrifice, or I would offer one.  You do not want a burnt offering.
17  The sacrifice you desire is a broken spirit.  You will not reject a broken and repentant heart, O God.
18  Look with favor on Zion and help her; rebuild the walls of Jerusalem.
19  Then you will be pleased with sacrifices offered in the right spirit—with burnt offerings and whole burnt offerings.  Then bulls will again be sacrificed on your altar.

Admonished God's People   (Nehemiah 9:30)
30  In your love, you were patient with them for many years. You sent your Spirit, who warned them through the prophets. But still they wouldn’t listen! So once again you allowed the peoples of the land to conquer them.

Reacted to Human Evil  (Genesis 6:3)
3    Then the Lord said, “My Spirit will not put up with humans for such a long time, for they are only mortal flesh. In the future, their normal lifespan will be no more than 120 years.”

Gave Artistic Ability to Individuals  (Exodus 31:2-3)
2    “Look, I have specifically chosen Bezalel son of Uri, grandson of Hur, of the tribe of Judah.
3    I have filled him with the Spirit of God, giving him great wisdom, ability, and expertise in all kinds of crafts.

Gave His Power to Israel's Leaders    (Judges 6:34, I Samuel 16:13 and Zechariah 4:6)
Judges 6:34
34  Then the Spirit of the Lord took possession of Gideon. He blew a ram’s horn as a call to arms, and the men of the clan of Abiezer came to him.
I Samuel 16:13
13  So as David stood there among his brothers, Samuel took the flask of olive oil he had brought and anointed David with the oil. And the Spirit of the Lord came powerfully upon David from that day on. Then Samuel returned to Ramah.
Zechariah 4:6
6    Then he said to me, “This is what the Lord says to Zerubbabel: It is not by force nor by strength, but by my Spirit, says the Lord of Heaven’s Armies.

Lived Among God's People   (Haggai 2:5)
5    My Spirit remains among you, just as I promised when you came out of Egypt. So do not be afraid.’

Inspired the Prophets    (Numbers 11:29, Micah 3:8, Zechariah 7:12 and 2 Peter 1:21)
Numbers 11:29
29  But Moses replied, “Are you jealous for my sake? I wish that all the Lord’s people were prophets and that the Lord would put his Spirit upon them all!”
Micah 3:8
8    But as for me, I am filled with power—with the Spirit of the Lord.  I am filled with justice and strength
to boldly declare Israel’s sin and rebellion.Zechariah 7:12
12  They made their hearts as hard as stone, so they could not hear the instructions or the messages that the Lord of Heaven’s Armies had sent them by his Spirit through the earlier prophets. That is why the Lord of Heaven’s Armies was so angry with them.
2 Peter 1:20-21
20  Above all, you must realize that no prophecy in Scripture ever came from the prophet’s own understanding,
21  or from human initiative. No, those prophets were moved by the Holy Spirit, and they spoke from God.

Spoke Through the Psalmists  (2 Samuel 23:2, Acts 1:16, 20 and Hebrews 3:7-11)
2 Samuel 23:2
2    The Spirit of the Lord speaks through me; his words are upon my tongue.
Acts 1:16, 20
16 “Brothers,” he said, “the Scriptures had to be fulfilled concerning Judas, who guided those who arrested Jesus. This was predicted long ago by the Holy Spirit, speaking through King David.
20   Peter continued, “This was written in the book of Psalms, where it says, ‘Let his home become desolate, with no one living in it.’ It also says, ‘Let someone else take his position.’
Hebrews 3:7-11
7    That is why the Holy Spirit says, “Today when you hear his voice,
8    don’t harden your hearts as Israel did when they rebelled, when they tested me in the wilderness.
9    There your ancestors tested and tried my patience, even though they saw my miracles for forty years.
10  So I was angry with them, and I said, ‘Their hearts always turn away from me.  They refuse to do what I tell them.’
11  So in my anger I took an oath:  ‘They will never enter my place of rest.’”

No comments:

Post a Comment