Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

What Does Meditation Accomplish? (GWT)

It Gives Us a Sense of Peace                                          Philippians 4:6-9
Philippians 4:6-9
6  Never worry about anything. But in every situation let God know what you need in prayers and requests while giving thanks.
7  Then God’s peace, which goes beyond anything we can imagine, will guard your thoughts and emotions through Christ Jesus.
8   Finally, brothers and sisters, keep your thoughts on whatever is right or deserves praise: things that are true, honorable, fair, pure, acceptable, or commendable.
9  Practice what you’ve learned and received from me, what you heard and saw me do. Then the God who gives this peace will be with you.

It Develops a Close Relationship With God                    Psalms 63:6-8
Psalms 63:6-8
6  As I lie on my bed, I remember you.  Through the long hours of the night, I think about you.
7  You have been my help.  In the shadow of your wings, I sing joyfully. 
8  My soul clings to you.  Your right hand supports me.

It Prepares Us for Important Decisions                           Luke 6:12-13
Luke 6:12-13
12  At that time Jesus went to a mountain to pray. He spent the whole night in prayer to God.
13  When it was day, he called his disciples. He chose twelve of them and called them apostles.

It Gives Us Strength for Christian Living                         Psalms 1:2-3 and 2 Corinthians 12:7-9
Psalms 1:2-3
2  Rather, he delights in the teachings of the Lord and reflects on his teachings day and night.
3  He is like a tree planted beside streams—a tree that produces fruit in season and whose leaves do not wither.  He succeeds in everything he does.
2 Corinthians 12:7-9
7  especially because of the excessive number of revelations that I’ve had. Therefore, to keep me from becoming conceited, I am forced to deal with a recurring problem. That problem, Satan’s messenger, torments me to keep me from being conceited. 
8  I begged the Lord three times to take it away from me.
9  But he told me: “My kindness is all you need. My power is strongest when you are weak.” So I will brag even more about my weaknesses in order that Christ’s power will live in me.

It Gives Us Direction for Life                                          Acts 22:17-21
Acts 22:17-21
17  “After that, I returned to Jerusalem. While I was praying in the temple courtyard, I fell into a trance
18  and saw the Lord. He told me, ‘Hurry! Get out of Jerusalem immediately. The people here won’t accept your testimony about me.’
19  “I said, ‘Lord, people here know that I went from synagogue to synagogue to imprison and whip those who believe in you.
20  When Stephen, who witnessed about you, was being killed, I was standing there. I approved of his death and guarded the coats of those who were murdering him.’
21  “But the Lord told me, ‘Go! I’ll send you on a mission. You’ll go far away to people who aren’t Jewish.’”

No comments:

Post a Comment